Sunday, July 31, 2011

Foaming Hand Soap

We all love the foaming-style hand soap.  It is easy, smells great and the kids can tell when the foam is all washed off.

But, I have yet to find a large "refill" bottle of the foaming soap.  I hate to add to the landfills by not reusing these great dispensers (and, if they can be reused, why not try before recycling.)  So, I decided to try to use the regular soap refill in the "foaming pump" dispenser to see if it worked.  It does not work when full strength, but if you add 1/2 soap and 1/2 water - IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

I've tried several brands of the foaming pump dispensers to find that some work well and some simply don't.  My favorite is Tone.  Any of the Tone Foaming Hand Wash dispensers work great, don't stick, etc.  Take my word for it, just choose Tone.

After this discovery, I bought one Tone for each household sink. 


When the Tone dispenser ran out (within a week), I bought the cheapest bottle of store-brand regular refill handsoap (this one is Kroger brand but anything works.)  Fill the dispenser about 1/2 full with soap.  Fill the rest of it up with water.  Shake.  Pump.

This is a total money saver!  The big bottle of Kroger Hand Soap is about $1.75 while one single pump of Foaming Hand Soap can run over $3.  The refill lasts us about 3 months!  Big savings.



2 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my dishwashing soap in the direct foam pump. A little on a scrubbie, and no need to fill the entire sink to do a couple of stray dishes! BTW...great minds think alike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I's stay away from the antibacterial stuff, though, especially triclosan as an ingredient. Lots of info out there about it if you search.

    ReplyDelete