Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Breaking away...

We are moving this week.  And among all of the excitement, I keep finding little pieces of our lives that scratch up some tidbits of emotion.  One of those things happened today as I was packing up the pantry.

My mom always used the inside of her big pantry door as a growth chart and I, in turn, have done the same.  But today, when I opened the door to pack up the cereal and pop tarts, I noticed it again and it made me sad.  I wanted to rip off the door and carry it out with me because, though it is just a door with pencil markings, mapping the kids' growth on this door has meant a lot to us over the years. 

Sure, there will be another pantry door at our new home.  I have, of course, meticulously traced each marking so that I can transfer it to the new pantry door.  But...it just makes me sad.

Change is a blessing.  But with all of the things we look forward to, there are so many things that we will miss about this place.  This old pantry door just seems to sum it all up in its own simple way.  It just makes me a bit sad that this sweet memento will soon be painted over by the new owner.  



4 comments:

  1. wow!! Love it and will start the same tradition not because of you! Reminds me of that country song "You're gonna miss this"
    Thanks kitcat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabra...that song hits the nail on the head. So emotional! Come home...I need you to come over and play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabra, P.S. Did you mean that you will start this new tradition "NOW" because of me or "NOT" because of me? HAHAHAHAHAH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat, glad you caught the "not" instead of "now"...:)::):):) slip of the finger on the key, Sa!! Just think, Cat.....that door will be repainted for the next family to do a repeat of what you have done!!!!! Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete