Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Outdoor Firestarters

I wanted to share these amazing firestarters that I make.  They have been so wonderful when we go camping because I keep them in a big bag and have them on hand whenever we need to get a fire going.  Not only are they useful but they are DIRT CHEAP!

All you need are cardboard egg cartons, lint from your dryer and paraffin wax.  I keep a bag in my laundry room and throw the lint and dryer sheet in the bag every time I do a load (which is daily)!
Cardboard egg cartons, paraffin wax and dryer lint

Stuff the lint and dryer sheets in the egg cartons

Melt the wax in a double boiler

"Double Boiler" (wax pan on top of pan of boiling water)

Pour the melted wax over each "egg" of lint

When it cools slightly, cut them apart
I like to cut them apart as soon as they are cool enough to handle so that the wax isn't so hard to cut through.  It is a bugger after it hardens fully.

To start a fire, light the cardboard edge of your firestarter nugget and you'll have a good 15 minutes of fire to kick-start your logs.

Now let's go camping!

No comments:

Post a Comment